Sunday, August 16, 2009

Parlez-vous Francais?


I have a little more than a week until I begin my French 101 course at the local University. This is 3 years after I have graduated. So I have no clue how my studying skills have held up after all that time. This is huge for me as one of my main goals is to become fluent in French.

I'm quite nervous as I have a background in Spanish and have never be taught French. My problem is that I have a tendency to pronounce and read the French in a Spanish way. Which isn't helpful at all.

This summer, I have been cracking down on Rosetta Stone French to cover some of the basics before I get into the classroom. I don't think that anyone could become fully fluent in French through Rosetta Stone. I believe it is more for the tourist to pick up some of the local vocabulary. The learning through immersion technique is unique as not one word of English is written or spoken. I think it has helped me to begin thinking in French rather than English.

At times I have been driven insane by the Rosetta Stone program during the vocal lessons, as apparently there are some words it thinks I can't pronounce like policier among others. I have gotten my husband to say that word in particular for me so the program will let me move on to the next lesson. I wonder if my instructor will have a problem with my pronunciation. I will let you know.

If anyone has any comments on how to transition into speaking French or has any stories to share regarding speaking French to native speakers please feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment